The making of another crown. This is the same process I went through my white crown from earlier this month. Since I forgot to take pictures of the progress, I made sure to get some of this one. It really isn't much though. Suppose I could have at least taken a materials shot...
Unlike my white crown, which was made of cardboard used to keep shirts straight/folded, this one is made from mat board. I took home several pieces of scrap mat board from school since we had to mount photographs. Everyone else just threw away the excess board after cutting them to the right size. I've still got plenty left since this only used two scraps from the same board [it was bigger than the rest of the boards people brought in, so the student had to cut width and length-wise]. I also used my X-acto knife to cut the board, so no messed up edges that need covering! I wouldn't have known what to use either.
Christine was kind enough to let me use some of her black fabric since I didn't have any, as well as donate stuffing for plushes. I didn't measure out the fabric, but instead just lined up the board strips and cut. Like the white crown, it's all glued together. You can see the bits of glue in the corners keeping the top together.
Finished structure. The puckering is pretty terrible, but for a costume piece it's okay. I like how the base turned out and how sleek it looks.
More awful puckering! I didn't have a chance to take a picture of the finished crown since I completed it just a little bit before the event. I'll cover the fully finished crown in another post.
Here's mine again, with feathers and pearls.
The feathery/pearl attachment was a clip I made for prom. It's been sitting with my accessories for a while. I think I'll just keep it on the crown.
I didn't take any pictures at the SD Lolitas Haunted Chessboard event, but if you want, you can check out Christine De La Creme's post on the party. You can also find my full outfit shot over there!