Welcome! This is ChasingTheFrill's craft blog. Here you'll find progress and finished photos, drawings and other art, food, and sometimes cats.

Sunday, December 16, 2012


Two months ago I was commissioned to make a Dororo of Sgt. Frog / Keroro Gunso amigurumi as a birthday present. The yarn took a while to arrive and I had another commission to do. After that, Dororo kind of became an on and off project since the deadline for him was about mid December, and he was finished earlier this month. It was a long and rather difficult experience.

First was the head shape. He needed to be round, as that's a very obvious characteristic for the frogs in the series. To save yarn, I went about it in making the whole thing in two pieces instead of three. I started from the bottom with his mark up to where his hat/headpiece would be, made that separately and sewed them together. Increasing stitches always look better than decreasing, hence making the headpiece separately so that the top would not have any holes in the stitches.

Getting the mask to curve up was was of the harder parts as it would warp the shape if I continued crocheting the blue normally afterward. Lots of eyeballing and guessing with what stitches to use. Mostly slip stitches, which are a pain to stitch into when coming back around, but it was the only way to get the rows even again. It's kind of difficult to explain.

I also learned how to properly switch colors, as I guess I've been doing it wrong before. I was halfway through the body when I decided I didn't like how it was going since there were spots of white and blue over the other. Had to pull it all out and start over. I'm glad I did learn though, since now I can try new things like having designs right in the stitching without it looking weird.

Thankfully his limbs didn't give my much trouble. I tried to give his legs actual feet, but it didn't work out so well and I just settled with points. It isn't as if he'd made to stand anyway, so it doesn't matter much.

In full~ Tadaaaaa~ I can't remember how big he ended up being, but there's my card for reference!

His kira-kira/sparkle/shuriken probably would have looked better as part of the stitching, but that would've taken way too long in figuring out how to work the three colors in that kind of pattern.

I had a little extra time, so I made a tiny phonestrap to go with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment