Welcome! This is ChasingTheFrill's craft blog. Here you'll find progress and finished photos, drawings and other art, food, and sometimes cats.

Friday, November 18, 2011

Bunka Doll

For the current craft swap on EGL, I was magically paired up with a Sweet Lolita! I'm not very good at making sweet themed things, mostly because my supplies tend to follow the classic/gothic route in terms of lolita, as well as mori girl and more oriental styles, so it was a little difficult to decide what to make. My fabrics were all the wrong colors and styles, but I managed to dig some other fabric I got from my sister. One was the perfect color for a skin tone and the other was an Alice blue.

I thought, what could I make with this though? Then I remember a Lolita at PMX [which I attended last weekend] was wearing a Bunka doll pin on her jacket! Her pin was very cute, I think it was wearing a bear kigurumi/suit...And it was quite small too. I really liked it. So I decided to have a go at making a sweet styled bunka doll!


I didn't really use a pattern, but I used some tutorials as guidelines for some parts. Like the legs for example, since with this method, I didn't have to make legs then sew on "shoes" over them.


Body! I ended up not using the pink gingham since I couldn't figure out a good way to incorporate it. The type of fabric didn't match well either, it was too soft since it was more of a jersey.


Body all put together! I couldn't figure out how to attach the head and arms properly, so it doesn't look so fabulous from the back...

 

Dress made and face painted! I had to use a tooth pick and a pin to pain her face on.

 

From the back! You can see I used pink yarn for her braids. I tried to tie it in with the pink-polka-dot ribbon, since it was the only ribbon I had that was proper size! She's not that pretty from the back because I intended for her to be a pin, but she's cute as a doll too, so I left the pin out. I figured, if the owner wanted to wear her, she could use a safety pin or attach a pin herself. I mean, there's no guarantee that her owner would want to wear her, this way she can just be a cute decoration sitting next to a jewelry box or something.

  

Her bonnet turned out a little tall, but that's okay! I used some of the pink tulle to make it more interesting since I didn't have proper sized lace/good quality lace. Over all though, she's very simple, but very sweet.



No comments:

Post a Comment