Welcome! This is ChasingTheFrill's craft blog. Here you'll find progress and finished photos, drawings and other art, food, and sometimes cats.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Monkey Blues


I've been holding onto this post since January. It's been in a nearly finished state since then and I finally finished it this past Friday. Quite pathetic really, since it's been practically finished, all I had to do was attach the face parts. I was just too lazy and unmotivated to actually stitch them on that I finally caved and glued it. Bah, it looks fine, right?!



Christine had asked me months ago, sometime last year, to make her a larger version of a monkey charm I made. Here you can see the size comparison. I used a different yarn because I couldn't remember the brand of yarn I used for the first, since I bought it back in '09. I just happened to have enough leftover to make small things.


I tried to match the blue as best I could while also getting a thicker yarn. I didn't want to have to use a smaller hook to match the yarn size to avoid stuffing showing through.

I made the head first, which really is a bad idea for me. After making the body, the head ended up being too small that I had to pull most of it apart and make it bigger. It was difficult trying to match the proportions of the smaller amigurumi. The head is still too small in comparison, but it looks fine and is a definite improvement from the first head. The arms turned out a little bulky too, but I'm not sure how I could have avoided it without having to write out specific instructions so that they'd be the same on both sides.


I don't know why, but I stuffed it's tummy a little even though the original isn't like that. As I was sewing it on, it was kind of like a pocket/kangaroo pouch. I did think of leaving it open at the top, but decided against it. Why would a monkey have a pocket on it's belly?


Next to a water bottle for actual size reference. The bugger's pretty big. Not as tall as Dororo, I don't think...but still, round and wide. Probably the biggest amigurumi I've made so far?

No comments:

Post a Comment